Do you have a biscuit recipe or story
you'd like to share?
Read more about Elease Wigfall, a large, friendly, no-nonsense woman who generously
shared her classic old time recipes, and Pawley Island, South Carolina where she cooked until the early 1990's.
Old Fashioned Fluffy Biscuits
Recipe by Elease Wigfall
What is more traditionally
Southern than fluffy biscuits bathed in butter? These are sinful with
dinner, terrific toasted and slathered with butter and marmalade the
4 cups self-rising flour
2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
Approximately 1 cup milk.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour and the shortening with a wooden
spoon until blended.
3. Add the milk, a little at a time, until a soft dough forms. Do not
4. Spread a piece of waxed paper on the counter and sprinkle with
flour. With a rolling pin or the palms of your hands, pat the dough
out until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Cut with a small glass or
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just beginning to color.
Makes approximately 2 dozen biscuits.