Do you have a vegetable recipe, or story you'd like to share?
Fried Green Tomatoes
1 pound firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup cornmeal (you will not use all of it)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra virgin olive oil or canola oil for frying
Classic Southern fried green tomatoes are cooked in bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet. This version is more Mediterranean. Use a heavy nonstick skillet,
which requires less oil than cast iron, but either will work.
1. Slice the tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick.
2. Season the cornmeal with salt and pepper
3. Dredge the tomatoes in it. You can do this in a large bowl, a flatter baking dish or a brown paper bag.
whatever is easiest for you. You won't use all of the cornmeal.
4. Heat a heavy skillet, either cast iron or nonstick, over medium-high heat, and add enough oil to coat the bottom by about 1/8 inch.
5. Fry the tomatoes on each side until golden, about two to three minutes per side.
6. Drain on paper towels, on a paper bag or on a rack.
7. Keep warm in a low oven until all of the tomatoes are fried.
8. Serve hot or warm.
Yield: Serves four. Tip: You can keep these warm in an oven for a short while, but they're best served right away.