FOR THE COOKIES:
3 sticks (1-1/2 cups) margarine
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2-1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
FOR THE TOPPING:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Cream the margarine. Add the vanilla and both sugars, and beat well.
2. Add the applesauce, beat, and scrape side of the bowl.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; beat slowly and scrape bowl.
4. Stir in the oats.
5. Place tablespoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet; leave room for cookies to spread.
6. Mix topping ingredients, and sprinkle topping generously over cookies.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Let cookies stand on baking sheets for about
half a minute until they are firm enough to transfer.