Do you have a peach cobbler recipe or story you'd like to share?
Recipe by Elease Wigfall
8 ripe peaches
12 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup plus two tablespoons self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees..
2. Peel, pit and slice the peaches. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a
medium saucepan. Add the sliced peaches and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in 2
tablespoons of flour and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft and
3. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining cup of sugar with the
remaining cup of flour. Stir in the milk.
4. Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan.
Pour in the batter, reserving about 1/3 cup.
5. Pour the peach mixture over the top of the batter. Drizzle the
reserved batter over peaches, and spread around evenly to cover.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until top is golden
brown. Serve warm. (Top with ice cream, if desired.)
Makes approximately four to six servings.
Read more about Elease Wigfall, a large, friendly, no-nonsense woman who generously shared her classic old time recipes, and Pawley Island, South Carolina where she cooked until the early 1990's.