Do you have a cookie recipe or story you'd like to share?
Shortbread Jam Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Black currant, raspberry, blackberry, or apricot jam
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. Cream together the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the flour and salt mixture a small amount
at a time, kneading into creamed mixture with your hands until you have a stiff dough
which can be rolled. Do not overwork the dough.
4. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a well-floured flat surface, roll out half of the dough 1/8 inch thick. With a round
cookie cutter 3" in diameter, cut as many circles out of dough as
6. Using a very small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut windows in halfthe circles.
7. Place cut circles and stars on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake at 325° for about 8 minutes or until barely browned, rotating sheets halfway through baking.
8. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
9. Spread one circle cookie (with no window) with 1 Tablespoon of jam. Sandwich with a circle that has had a window cut out.
10. Repeat with remaining cookies.
11. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
Option: Small stars can be sandwiched with jam too, or frosted with glaze made of powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Cookies are best after having rested 1 day or more after assembly.
Cool and store in airtight containers.
Makes about 3 dozen.