Do you have a cabbage recipe
you'd like to share?
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Recipe by John Vatsula
Courtesy of Lodi News-Sentinel
John Vatsula said this is how both of his grandmothers and mother prepared Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Holubky). He said the annual sauerkraut supper hosted by the Slovak,
Polish and German women of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church was the best attended social function of the year in his hometown.
He added that versions of this recipe can be found in the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association Cookbook, established in 1892.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter or margerine
1 pound cooked ground beef
1 pound cooked ground pork
1 cup cooked rice
1 large can sauerkraut
1 can tomato soup
Loose cabbage leaves
1. Saute onion in 1 tablespoon of butter.
2. Mix beef, pork, rice, salt and pepper to taste and the sauteed onion. Mix well.
3. Cook separated cabbage leaves in boiling water until flexible. Allow to cool.
4. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of meat mixture on each leaf and roll up.
5. Put half of the sauerkraut in bottom of large pan, then the cabbage rolls in layers.
6. Cover with the rest of the sauerkraut.
7. Pour the can of tomato soup and enough water to cover.
8. Cook slowly in a covered pan until set.
OPTION: You can also place this is a large casserole dish, cover and bake until set.
Makes many servings.